Saturday, July 3, 2010

Reflections of Independence Days Past....

Tomorrow, the brother this post is about turns 30. I feel old... in the meantime, read and reflect...

Friday, July 04, 2008


Reflections of Independence Days Past July 4, 1980

Current mood: nostalgic

Category: Life

I chose this particular day to reflect upon for a reason. Today is my youngest brother Ralph's birthday. He was born 28 years ago on a Friday morning in the living room of our childhood home in Bayonne. Our mother went into labor very quickly and didn't even make it out of the house before my brother who was anxious to make his appearance upon this earth. He just couldn't wait to get out and see the world, which is how he is today.

I tend to remember the details because I remember wanting to see my mother and my older sister kept me in our parents' room not letting me out to see the action. I remember being very upset and mad until I was allowed to see my new baby brother. I remember the first time I finally got to see him. I think it was one of the EMT's from McCabe's who wrapped him up in a white blanket and let me look at him. His big brown eyes opened up and stared right at me. Those eyes are just as wide today as they were 28 years ago.

Because he was born on our nation's 204th birthday, the delivery was mentioned in the local papers of the day, the Jersey Journal, and the now non existent Hudson Dispatch before it merged with the Jersey Journal because he was delivered at 8:25 in the morning by paramedics according to the papers (this is again by memory).

Today, that big brown eyed baby boy is a married father of three boys, his youngest being an almost replica of himself. Same wide eyes and smile. Happy Birthday Ralphie. With love from your sister Susie!

Sue :-) Never forget anything that makes you smile.

No comments: