Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cafeteria Blues

I wrote this about a week ago. I'm not exactly a poet per se, but the urge moved me. Here it is. Enjoy...

Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Cafeteria Blues
Current mood: melancholy
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers

7 weeks later
Sitting at a table
Watching the world go by
No one acknowledging your presence
No one caring whether you exist or not
Just passing you by with their food and gossip
Leaving you with your food and drink and sadness
Yet keeping you with your principles and pride
And confidence
Knowing you did what was right.
It wasn't without sacrifice
It wasn't without fear
It was with a sliver of strength you never knew existed within you
Until you found you needed it.You ask yourself if it was worth it
You ask yourself why
Others are afraid to stand up for themselves
And prefer only to follow the crowd
For fear of being rejected
For fear of being alone
For fear of being ostracized
And not being accepted.
As for me
I prefer to be myself
Not to be part of a crowd
That makes me sacrifice
Who I am and
Who I want to become.
I'd rather stay real
And true to myself
Than be a part of something
That I know in my heart is wrong
If that means I sit alone
Day after day with my food and drink to
Keep me company
Then that is the sacrifice I must make
Not to be part of the crowd
Then I'll continue the fight
to remain true to myself
as a survivor in the world of right and wrong.

No comments: